Friday, August 21, 2015

Glitter + Smoke Bombs with Shanda Lynn Call

This shoot was so so fun! I had this image in my head to get some models in the water with crazy glitter makeup and colored smoke swirling around them. I just didn't realize what it would take to bring it to life. I knew I needed my friend Shanda to take pictures but I'll get to her in a bit.

That whole day, it was raining but we had already rescheduled this shoot once before so I was determined to make it happen. Luckily when we go there, the rain stopped! It was still pretty cold and poor Ally and Whitney were freezing in the water but hey at least it wasn't raining. They killed this shoot!

I bought some colored smoke bombs to get the effect I wanted in the background but I didn't really think it through. I ended up having to get in the water with my all my clothes on up to about my ribs! Also I'm an idiot and didn't think it would be a problem holding the smoke bombs as they went off. They totally burned my fingers. I figured more smoke the better so I tried lighting two bombs at once. That just sent Whitney into a coughing fit with tears running down her face. 
>> One smoke bomb is definitely enough. 

With all the craziness going on with this shoot, we still had a blast. I made sure to get models who are friends so it would be more relaxed. We turned up the music and laughed the night away. There were lots of "Les be honest" jokes haha. 

Whitney and Ally are gorgeous and I loved how these turned out! 
So the main reason why these picture turned out so great and we were laughing our butts off is because Shanda is super talented and hilarious! She gets so excited about what she's doing and it's just infectious. I have so much fun every time I work with her. Remember my St. Patrick's Day post or the ADORNit one? Yeah that was Shanda! I just love her! I asked her to write a little something about herself and this is what she sent me.

// Shanda Call from Providence UT, I have been doing photography for about 9 years.  I went to USU for my Photography degree and learned from some amazing mentors along the way. 

I have 3 beautiful daughters that are my life, and a wonderful supportive husband. My family is my reason why I do what I do.

I'm a Lover of love, Salted Carmel Hot Chocolate, Chocolate Truffles, and Movie Nights cuddling up with my guy!  I love capturing life through my lens.  Moments and memories pass so quickly and I love that my career allows me to freeze those moments – because they deserve to be remembered.  No moment is too big or small to be remembered.  That little nephew dancing with the flower girl, or a dad crying as he dances with his beautiful daughter on her wedding day, or that look in the grooms eye as he sees his bride for the first time.  I strive to capture all these memories and preserve them because those moments pass by so quickly.  I love love. Nothing competes, nothing feels as complete. Photography often feels like the reason I breathe. //
So this is where I leave you with some cheesy glitter quote like:
She who leaves a trail of glitter is never forgotten
or don't let anyone dull your sparkle.

I think I'll leave you with the wise words or Ke$ha
Go insane, go insane,
throw some glitter,
make it rain!

 Great advice! Xo,

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing stylist Syna!! Love shooting with you!

    ReplyDelete

);