Monday, August 4, 2014

Uintas

This weekend I went on a little trip to the Uintas. It had its up and downs but over all 
I just love being outside and exploring new territory! 

My Handy Backpacking Pack || Here ||


  
   

     The original plan was to hike most of the day on Thursday and set up camp near Dollar Lake. Friday: hike to Kings Peak (the highest peak in Utah, with an elevation of 13,528 feet) and back to camp. Then Saturday hike out and drive home. Well I was feeling really good most of the day Thursday until the end. I started to get really light headed and dizzy. I was also having a lot of trouble breathing. We set up camp, had dinner and I just tried to ignore it.

    That night at around 1am I woke up struggling for air. It felt like something was pressing down on my lungs and I had to get out of my tent for fresh air fast. I felt bad all the nose I made woke up Joel but he really is the sweetest and did everything in his power to make me feel comfortable. We were up from 1-5am that morning.

     We're thinking it was probably a combination of altitude sickness and exhaustion. I have never hiked at that high of an elevation before. Ive only backpacked one other time and that was just a few months ago. So I would say I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this stuff. So I was really worried about spending another night so high up.

     I knew Joel really wanted to hike King's Peak but there was no way I was going to attempt it feeling so sick. I told Joel just to do the hike with the rest of the group and he could meet me at the truck later. This took a lot of convincing because he was certain I'd trip on a rock and crack my head or something. Eventually we went our separate ways.


Here are some pretty views Joel snapped from the top.
Joel, (My sister-in-law) Treesha, and ("My White Caucasian father") Mike all at the top!
|| They are awesome!! || 


     Meanwhile I was hiking back to the truck on my own. Once I got a little lower I finally felt like I could catch my breath and really enjoyed my hike. From our camp to the truck it took Joel 2 1/2 hours and I did it in 5 1/2. It was so nice to just take my time and wander off the trail to explore new things. Im not a huge fan of hiking itself but I just love being outdoors and taking everything in so the trade off is worth it to me. I didn't feel the pressure of feeling like the group was waiting for me, I just did my own thing and loved it!

It was nice and peaceful to be alone with my thoughts for a while. 
The Uintas is such a beautiful place, I feel really blessed to live it such a picturesque state. 

#PanoSelfie


     Once I got back to the truck, I just made my dinner and read for a bit. It wasn't very long before Joel made it back. Then we cheated and got a motel! Haha it was fabulous to shower and sleep in a nice comfortable bed. The next morning we went back and picked up the rest of the group :)


Pros: 
Having Joel take care of me. I try to never take him for granted but I feel like times like these,
 its just an extra reminder of how lucky I am!

Wildflowers!
I had to stop and put some in my hair on the way up and back down.
I had Mumford & Sons stuck in my head:
"love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair."


I also loved how you could hear the river the majority of the hike.

Cons:
Getting Sick :( 
But that's really about all I can think of!

Well Happy Exploring! Xo,

2 comments:

);